The gentle sea with the purest water and the magnificent sandy beaches of Macedonia and Thrace attract more and more tourists yearly. The crystal turquoise color of the seawater sets the level of your vacation somewhere between stunning and perfect. So if you are looking for the perfect sea, this is your place!
Long straight beaches dominate the coast of Macedonia and Thrace. Large spaces mean you can always find a comfortable place to relax. That is why travelers appreciate these places so much. One of the disadvantages of this type of beach is the scarce natural shade, so if you choose to relax on the wild part of the coast, be prepared to be alone with the scorching sun without the opportunity to take cover in a cool shade.
Most beaches of Macedonia and Thrace are located within settlements, usually more accessible and well equipped, but less picturesque. The latter does not apply to Macedonia and Thrace because, despite a large number of city beaches, many still offer stunning views.
Calm, measured rest and the sound of waves are perhaps the most common associations that arise with the word "beach". This is not surprising, as relaxation is exactly what many beach travelers are looking for. If you associate your vacation primarily with such activity, choose one of the 553 beaches in the region.
To make your choice easier, we have prepared a list of the best beaches for relaxation in Macedonia and Thrace.
The beaches of Macedonia and Thrace can be a good choice for senior travelers, as there are 153 beaches equipped with everything necessary for a comfortable stay for this group of travelers.
In most cases, older travelers are looking for a quiet relaxing holiday and have high demands on infrastructure. This type of beach is the opposite of the party ones preferred by the younger generation. So if you are interested in this type, you can also explore the beaches for the seniors in the entire beach map of Greece.
Good news for those who like to merge with nature completely. Macedonia and Thrace offers 7 naturist (FKK) beaches , some of which are located in very secluded places. Such pearls can only be found by an advanced traveler, so for your confident navigation, we have prepared a list of them. Remember sunscreen, since most of beaches are completely natural, there is no infrastructure for several kilometers around.
Attraction and Infrastructure
Hundreds of beaches in Macedonia and Thrace attract every year not only relaxation lovers but also those travelers who prefer outdoor activities and, first of all SUP boarders, kayakers, snorkeling lovers.
So, let's see what activities you can do on the beaches:
- SUP is a relatively young sport that attracts more and more followers every year. Whether you are an experienced SUP rider or want to discover this activity, Macedonia and Thrace is the perfect place for you. More than 78 beaches are popular among SUP boarders. Who knows, you will become an enthusiastic fan of SUP after visiting these beaches.
- Snorkeling. For admirers of the inner beauty of coastal waters, it is essential to know that about 217 beaches in Greece that are popular with snorkelers, of which 26 beaches are in Macedonia and Thrace. According to our users, the best locations are: Sani beach II, Sani beach III, Rosonkremos beach.
- Sea kayaking is an excellent alternative to long walks along the coast. Instead of being bored on the beach, you can go for a leisurely journey and discover the beauty of the neighboring coves, inlets and wild beaches. Remember, the main gems are always accessible only from the water. Kayaking is an excellent active lifestyle solution for both professionals and beginners. About 57 beaches in Macedonia and Thrace can be interesting for kayakers, the most popular are: Sani beach III, White beach.
For those who prefer football to water activities, Macedonia and Thrace can be a good choice, as there are several beaches with football fields nearby. You can kick the ball on 11 beaches.
As for the main features of the beaches of Macedonia and Thrace, they are as follows:
- The region's beaches are mainly narrow, moderate length and have a high level of cleanliness. The most common surface is sand of bright color.
- Usually, entry into the water is moderately gentle, such beaches are 416.
- The average distance from the road to beach in Macedonia and Thrace is less than 500 meters. 459 beaches are relatively easy to access, 31 beaches are difficult to access, which in most cases means that you have to walk a quite long distance, and 59 beaches are only accessible from the water. The latter include both island beaches and beaches with no land routes due to the natural borders.
Wild beaches with no infrastructure dominate the coastline of Macedonia and Thrace however, even here you can find a beach with a standard set of accessories: sun beds, umbrellas, restaurants, showers and toilets.
For campers, important information is the availability of campsites in the region. There are such places near the 101 beaches of Macedonia and Thrace. 59 of them are a kind of wild camp, formed spontaneously by lovers of this type of recreation and did not have an infrastructure. 42 of them are official campsites, with all the necessary (showers, toilets, shops, cafes).
Please note that lifeguards supervise 161 beaches in the region, but you should rely on more than just them, remember the elementary rules, as lifeguards are not on duty around the clock, even on equipped beaches!
Finding a restaurant in Macedonia and Thrace is easy enough, many of them are located close to the beaches. Each is good in its way and has a certain charm. You can find out more about nearby food outlets on beach pages.
Finding hotels in relative proximity to the beaches is usually fine. Many beaches have enough nearby accommodation, which gives good opportunities to choose the right place to stay.
And, probably, the most popular question among travelers: “What sights of Macedonia and Thrace can be found relatively close to the beaches?” It is impossible to list all of them, there are a lot of attractions. So you will find where to go!
The hottest month of the region is August - air temperature during this time warms up to 30.2°C and water up to 28.6°C. The coldest month is January - air temperature drops to 7.6°C and water to 14.7°C.
Do you know how many beaches there are in Macedonia and Thrace? In total there are 553 beaches and the most popular is Pachia Ammos.