The gentle sea with the purest water and the magnificent pebbly beaches of Istria County attract more and more tourists yearly. The crystal turquoise color of the seawater sets the level of your vacation somewhere between stunning and perfect. So if you are looking for the perfect sea, this is your place!
The coastline of Istria County is deeply indented, it looks like a constant struggle of sea and land for dominance, the latter yielding or pushing back the sea rival, forming innumerable bays, inlets and peninsulas of various shapes and sizes with numerous beaches. Many of them have such an important feature, like a natural shadow. This is far from uncommon here.
Most beaches of Istria County are located within settlements, usually more accessible and well equipped, but less picturesque. The latter does not apply to Istria County because, despite a large number of city beaches, many still offer stunning views.
Calm, measured rest and the sound of waves are perhaps the most common associations that arise with the word "beach". This is not surprising, as relaxation is exactly what many beach travelers are looking for. If you associate your vacation primarily with such activity, choose one of the 214 beaches in the region.
To make your choice easier, we have prepared a list of the best beaches for relaxation in Istria County.
For pet lovers, and even more so for dog owners, the first question always arises whether it is possible to take your pet to the beach since entry with it, in most cases, can be prohibited.
Istria County is an exception in this case, since on average there are more pet-friendly beaches than nearby region. According to our data there are 17 beaches which have guaranteed access with pets, a full list of beaches can be found on this page. So you will be sure that you and your pet will have a great time under the gentle sun.
Good news for those who like to merge with nature completely. Istria County offers 5 naturist (FKK) beaches , some of which are located in very secluded places. Such pearls can only be found by an advanced traveler, so for your confident navigation, we have prepared a list of them. Remember sunscreen, since most of beaches are completely natural, there is no infrastructure for several kilometers around.
Attraction and Infrastructure
So, let's see what activities you can do on the beaches:
- SUP is a relatively young sport that attracts more and more followers every year. Whether you are an experienced SUP rider or want to discover this activity, Istria County is the perfect place for you. More than 54 beaches are popular among SUP boarders. Who knows, you will become an enthusiastic fan of SUP after visiting these beaches.
- Snorkeling. For admirers of the inner beauty of coastal waters, it is essential to know that about 297 beaches in Croatia that are popular with snorkelers, of which 40 beaches are in Istria County. According to our users, the best locations are: Plovanije beach, Shkolich beach II, Marsal Tito beach.
- Sea kayaking is an excellent alternative to long walks along the coast. Instead of being bored on the beach, you can go for a leisurely journey and discover the beauty of the neighboring coves, inlets and wild beaches. Remember, the main gems are always accessible only from the water. Kayaking is an excellent active lifestyle solution for both professionals and beginners. About 54 beaches in Istria County can be interesting for kayakers, the most popular are: Plaza Funtana, Mulini beach.
Do you love an active lifestyle but would prefer something other than water activities? Then on the beaches of Istria County you can actively spend time playing volleyball. Although this region does not have the privileged status of the volleyball capital of Croatia, it may well compete for this title because there are about 15 beaches where you can play volleyball.
As for the main features of the beaches of Istria County, they are as follows:
- The region's beaches are mainly narrow, quite short and have a high level of cleanliness. The most common surface is pebble of bright color.
- Since many beaches are pebbly, we recommend taking special shoes with you to avoid discomfort during your vacation.
- Usually, entry into the water is moderately gentle, such beaches are 157.
- Some beach bays can be densely occupied by motor boats or yachts, which usually negatively affects water pollution. There are about 50 beaches in Istria County, where a significant number of ships can be observed from time to time.
- The average distance from the road to beach in Istria County is less than 500 meters. 189 beaches are relatively easy to access, 17 beaches are difficult to access, which in most cases means that you have to walk a quite long distance, and 8 beaches are only accessible from the water. The latter include both island beaches and beaches with no land routes due to the natural borders.
The vast majority of Istria County beaches have the necessary amenities, such as sun loungers, umbrellas, beach cafes, showers and toilets.
For campers, important information is the availability of campsites in the region. There are such places near the 62 beaches of Istria County. 13 of them are a kind of wild camp, formed spontaneously by lovers of this type of recreation and did not have an infrastructure. 49 of them are official campsites, with all the necessary (showers, toilets, shops, cafes).
Please note that lifeguards supervise 68 beaches in the region, but you should rely on more than just them, remember the elementary rules, as lifeguards are not on duty around the clock, even on equipped beaches!
Finding a restaurant in Istria County is easy enough, many of them are located close to the beaches. Each is good in its way and has a certain charm. You can find out more about nearby food outlets on beach pages.
Finding hotels in relative proximity to the beaches is usually fine. Many beaches have enough nearby accommodation, which gives good opportunities to choose the right place to stay.
And, probably, the most popular question among travelers: “What sights of Istria County can be found relatively close to the beaches?” It is impossible to list all of them, there are a lot of attractions. So you will find where to go!
The hottest month of the region is agosto - air temperature during this time warms up to 29.7°C and water up to 26.3°C. The coldest month is enero - air temperature drops to 7.7°C and water to 11.3°C.
Do you know how many beaches there are in Istria County? In total there are 214 beaches and the most popular is Plaza Funtana.