The gentle sea with the purest water and the magnificent sandy beaches of Cambodia attract more and more tourists yearly. The crystal turquoise color of the seawater sets the level of your vacation somewhere between stunning and perfect. So if you are looking for the perfect sea, this is your place!
The coastline of Cambodia is primarily straight, with endless miles of beaches that have their charm, giving a feeling of absolute freedom. Many of them have a natural shade that saves in the midday heat.
Most beaches of Cambodia are located within the boundaries of settlements, so natural landscapes are not so frequent here. Lovers of beauty are better off focusing on studying the local traditional architecture and interesting features of life. But wherever you are, if you can get up early and see the morning sea, then a portion of beauty is always guaranteed to you.
Calm, measured rest and the sound of waves are perhaps the most common associations that arise with the word "beach". This is not surprising, as relaxation is exactly what many beach travelers are looking for. If you associate your vacation primarily with such activity, choose one of the 58 beaches in the country.
To make your choice easier, we have prepared a list of the best beaches for relaxation in Cambodia.
The beaches of Cambodia can be a good choice for senior travelers, as there are 9 beaches equipped with everything necessary for a comfortable stay for this group of travelers.
In most cases, older travelers are looking for a quiet relaxing holiday and have high demands on infrastructure. This type of beach is the opposite of the party ones preferred by the younger generation.
For pet lovers, and even more so for dog owners, the first question always arises whether it is possible to take your pet to the beach since entry with it, in most cases, can be prohibited.
Cambodia is an exception in this case, since on average there are more pet-friendly beaches than nearby country. According to our data there are 5 beaches which have guaranteed access with pets, a full list of beaches can be found on this page. So you will be sure that you and your pet will have a great time under the gentle sun.
Attraction and Infrastructure
So, let's see what activities you can do on the beaches:
- SUP is a relatively young sport that attracts more and more followers every year. Whether you are an experienced SUP rider or want to discover this activity, Cambodia is the perfect place for you. More than 6 beaches are popular among SUP boarders. Who knows, you will become an enthusiastic fan of SUP after visiting these beaches.
- Snorkeling. For admirers of the inner beauty of coastal waters, it is essential to know that about 4 beaches in Cambodia that are popular with snorkelers. According to our users, the best locations are: Lazy Beach, Tansor Beach, Nomads Land.
- Sea kayaking is an excellent alternative to long walks along the coast. Instead of being bored on the beach, you can go for a leisurely journey and discover the beauty of the neighboring coves, inlets and wild beaches. Remember, the main gems are always accessible only from the water. Kayaking is an excellent active lifestyle solution for both professionals and beginners. About 15 beaches in Cambodia can be interesting for kayakers, the most popular are: Sokha Beach, Otres Beach.
Do you love an active lifestyle but would prefer something other than water activities? Then on the beaches of Cambodia you can actively spend time playing volleyball. Although this country does not have the privileged status of the volleyball capital of World, it may well compete for this title because there are about 10 beaches where you can play volleyball.
As for the main features of the beaches of Cambodia, they are as follows:
- The country's beaches are mainly narrow, moderate length and have a high level of cleanliness. The most common surface is sand of bright color.
- Usually, entry into the water is gentle, which is very good for kids. There are 47 such beaches.
- An important clarification, 8 beaches in the country have a long intertidal zone, which means that during low tide hours you may have to travel a considerable distance. This is also something to consider if you don't want to suddenly be in the water at high tide.
- The average distance from the road to beach in Cambodia is less than 500 meters. 41 beaches are relatively easy to access, and 17 beaches are only accessible from the water. The latter include both island beaches and beaches with no land routes due to the natural borders.
Wild beaches with no infrastructure dominate the coastline of Cambodia however, even here you can find a beach with a standard set of accessories: sun beds, umbrellas, restaurants, showers and toilets.
For campers, important information is the availability of campsites in the country. There are such places near the 7 beaches of Cambodia. 6 of them are a kind of wild camp, formed spontaneously by lovers of this type of recreation and did not have an infrastructure.
Please note that lifeguards supervise 10 beaches in the country, but you should rely on more than just them, remember the elementary rules, as lifeguards are not on duty around the clock, even on equipped beaches!
There are not many restaurants in Cambodia, so finding them can sometimes be difficult, especially near the beach. For more information, visit the page of the beach you are interested in.
Finding hotels in relative proximity to the beaches is usually fine. Many beaches have enough nearby accommodation, which gives good opportunities to choose the right place to stay.
And, probably, the most popular question among travelers: “What sights of Cambodia can be found relatively close to the beaches?” The total number is not very large, but this does not indicate a limited choice, rather the need for a more detailed research of the country. There are sure to be many more places to visit!
Do you know how many beaches there are in Cambodia? In total there are 58 beaches and the most popular is Sokha Beach.