The gentle sea with the purest water and the magnificent sandy beaches of Sri Lanka attract more and more tourists yearly. The crystal turquoise color of the seawater sets the level of your vacation somewhere between stunning and perfect. So if you are looking for the perfect sea, this is your place!
The coastline of Sri Lanka is primarily straight, with endless miles of beaches that have their charm, giving a feeling of absolute freedom. Many of them have a natural shade that saves in the midday heat.
Regarding location, Sri Lanka is dominated by beaches outside urban areas in a natural setting. They may not be convenient for all categories of travelers (you can use filtering by access type or audience), primarily due to possible access difficulties. But they always give you extra points due to the amazing natural views, so isn't that why most of us go to the beach?
Calm, measured rest and the sound of waves are perhaps the most common associations that arise with the word "beach". This is not surprising, as relaxation is exactly what many beach travelers are looking for. If you associate your vacation primarily with such activity, choose one of the 235 beaches in the country.
To make your choice easier, we have prepared a list of the best beaches for relaxation in Sri Lanka.
The beaches of Sri Lanka can be a good choice for senior travelers, as there are 56 beaches equipped with everything necessary for a comfortable stay for this group of travelers.
In most cases, older travelers are looking for a quiet relaxing holiday and have high demands on infrastructure. This type of beach is the opposite of the party ones preferred by the younger generation.
Attraction and Infrastructure
So, let's see what activities you can do on the beaches:
- SUP is a relatively young sport that attracts more and more followers every year. Whether you are an experienced SUP rider or want to discover this activity, Sri Lanka is the perfect place for you. More than 14 beaches are popular among SUP boarders. Who knows, you will become an enthusiastic fan of SUP after visiting these beaches.
- Surfing. There is probably no person in the world who has never seen these talented boys and girls riding the wave. Whether you are a professional surfer or just an athlete with a brave heart, the beaches of Sri Lanka will suit both of you, as this country is quite popular among surfers. There are about 34 beaches good suitable for surfing, choose carefully, don't miss the beach of your dream!
- Sea kayaking is an excellent alternative to long walks along the coast. Instead of being bored on the beach, you can go for a leisurely journey and discover the beauty of the neighboring coves, inlets and wild beaches. Remember, the main gems are always accessible only from the water. Kayaking is an excellent active lifestyle solution for both professionals and beginners. About 9 beaches in Sri Lanka can be interesting for kayakers, the most popular are: Pasikuda Beach, Public Beach Trincomalee.
Do you love an active lifestyle but would prefer something other than water activities? Then on the beaches of Sri Lanka you can actively spend time playing volleyball. Although this country does not have the privileged status of the volleyball capital of World, it may well compete for this title because there are about 29 beaches where you can play volleyball.
As for the main features of the beaches of Sri Lanka, they are as follows:
- The country's beaches are mainly wide, long and have a high level of cleanliness. The most common surface is sand of bright color.
- Usually, entry into the water is moderately gentle, such beaches are 118.
- The average distance from the road to beach in Sri Lanka is less than 500 meters. 229 beaches are relatively easy to access, 5 beaches are difficult to access, which in most cases means that you have to walk a quite long distance, and 1 beach are only accessible from the water. The latter include both island beaches and beaches with no land routes due to the natural borders.
The vast majority of Sri Lanka beaches have the necessary amenities, such as sun loungers, umbrellas, beach cafes, showers and toilets.
For campers, important information is the availability of campsites in the country. There are such places near the 5 beaches of Sri Lanka. 2 of them are a kind of wild camp, formed spontaneously by lovers of this type of recreation and did not have an infrastructure. 3 of them are official campsites, with all the necessary (showers, toilets, shops, cafes).
Please note that lifeguards supervise 23 beaches in the country, but you should rely on more than just them, remember the elementary rules, as lifeguards are not on duty around the clock, even on equipped beaches!
There are not many restaurants in Sri Lanka, so finding them can sometimes be difficult, especially near the beach. For more information, visit the page of the beach you are interested in.
Finding hotels in relative proximity to the beaches is usually fine. Many beaches have enough nearby accommodation, which gives good opportunities to choose the right place to stay.
And, probably, the most popular question among travelers: “What sights of Sri Lanka can be found relatively close to the beaches?” The total number is not very large, but this does not indicate a limited choice, rather the need for a more detailed research of the country. There are sure to be many more places to visit!
Do you know how many beaches there are in Sri Lanka? In total there are 235 beaches and the most popular is Pasikuda Beach.